This unit is responsible for the implementation of the legal framework of the Ghana Prisons Service
Patience Baffoe-Bonnie - Chief Legal Officer
The legal department under the command of the Chief Legal Officer, performs the following core functions among other things:
- Advising the administration on all legal related matters confronting the Service.
- Representing the Director-General of Prisons during hearings in Court and the CHRAJ.
- Liaising between the Service and the Attorney General’s Department.
- Advising the Attorney General appropriately in all matters relating to the Service before representation at the Court/CHRAJ.
- The Chief Legal Officer is the Secretary at all Directorate meetings.
- Advising the Director-General of Prisons and draft submissions in all internal disciplinary cases involving staff of the Service.
- Scrutinizing all issues relating to tenancy agreements and land documentations.
- Reviewing all contract documents/MOU’S
- Drafting opinions on controversial issues.
- Engaging in various committees of enquiries set up by the DGP to investigate mishaps in the Service
- Serving on Internal Committees/Boards such as; Promotion Board, Committee of Adjustment, Transfer Boards, etc.
- Advising the administration on welfare issues as and when the need arises at various levels.
- Performing any other duties ordered by the Director-General of Prisons or the Prisons Service Council.