The developments of Prisons in the country started in the early 1800,s when the promulgated with emphasis on punishments rather than safe custody. During the early 19th century, the British government adopted the indirect rule system of government and as a result District Commissioners were appointed to see to the day-to day administration of the government. The Kumasi Central Prison was established in 1901, soon after the British Government gained grounds to rule in the Ashanti Region. To enable them work effectively and to put fear in the indigenous people who posed as threat to their administration, several local and District Courts were created by the Colonial Masters. The Prison was established to confine law-breakers to facilitate the smooth running of the British administration. In 1925, Kumasi Prison was reconstructed to increase the number of cells following the large number of inmates within the province. The site covers an area of 44,424 sq. ft. allowing 500 cubic feet for each prisoner. The station has a number of workshops where inmates are trained in various trade/vocation and an infirmary manned by medical personnel who over see the needs of inmates as well as officers in case of minor ailments.
YEJI CAMP PRISON
he Female Prison was administered as part of the Central Prison during its inception. Admissions and discharges of inmates were done at the central prison. The officers working at the female section also reported directly to the central prison as well as all the technical assistance the section needed. In 1991, the Kumasi female prison was granted full autonomous status which gave it the authority to take charge of its own affairs. The female prison is located at the center of Adum in the Ashanti Region and is structurally attached to the central prison. It has a total land size of 0.07 acres, which houses four (4) cells measuring 1200 ct7 each, The Prison takes both convicts and remand prisoners
DUAYAW NKWANTA CAMP PRISON
The Manhyia Local Prison was originally a sublet of the Asantehene’s palace. Its original function was to accommodate people who committed crimes and were found guilty by the Asantehene’s court. In 1954, the government took over the management of the facility and gazettes it as one of the prison establishments in the country. The Prison is located in Kumasi, at the Manhyia palace where the Asantehene’s resides. The Prison has a total surface area of 0.001221 km. The inmates’ population is made up of convicts and debtors. The building contains six cells and seven offices.