The Director General of Prisons (DGP) Mr. Patrick Darko Missah is the head of the Ghana Prisons Service. He was enlisted into the service on 30th September, 1988 and later commissioned as an Assistant Superintendent of Prisons (ASP) on 1st April, 1989.
He was appointed the head of Prisons Service on 27th March, 2017, by the President in accordance with article 207 (3) of the 1992 constitution of Ghana.
Prior to his current position, Mr. Missah had been the Director of Prisons in charge of Welfare, Agriculture and Human Resource Development.
Mr. Patrick Darko Missah has held several command positions. Notable among them are:
- Director of Prisons In charge of Welfare, Agriculture and Human Resource Development (May 2015- May 2017)
- Director of Prisons in charge of Welfare and Agriculture (Jan. 2015 – May 2015).
- Deputy Director of Prisons in charge of Finance and Administration (June 2013- Dec. 2014).
- Western Regional Commander (March 2010- Oct 2011).
- Officer-in- Charge (OIC) James Camp Prison (Sept 2006 – Feb. 2010).
- Chief Agricultural Officer of the Service (Sept 2002- Aug. 2006).
- Officer-in-Charge (OIC) Amanfrom (Sept. 1999- Aug 2002).
- Agricultural Officer Nsawam Medium Security Prison (Aug. 1989- Aug. 1991).
On the international front, DGP Darko Missah served as a Corrections Advisor and Mentor to the United Nations Missions in Liberia (UNMIL) from November 2011 to March 2013.
He is knowledgeable and holds a number of academic and professional qualifications. These include a Master of Philosophy in Agricultural Extension, from the University of Ghana, Legon, a Master of Science in Defense and International Politics from the Ghana Armed Forces Command and Staff College (GAFCSC), Post Graduate Diploma in Agricultural Administration from Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA), Certificate in Agricultural Administration from GIMPA and a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (Animal Science Option) from the University of Ghana, Legon.
He is a Fellow of Project Management Professionals.
Mr. Patrick Darko Missah enjoys browsing and farming.
He is married with 3 children.