The Prisons Headquarters is the administrative seat of the Service
SENIOR CORECTIONAL CENTER
This is the only institution in the country at the moment that caters for young offenders and juveniles. The centre takes care of these young offenders by training them for a period between six/6 month and two/ 2 years in various vocational trades like Welding, Vulcanizing, Tailoring, Carpentry, Draftsmanship, Auto electrical and mechanical and General Electricals. They are also given tuition in the classroom, ICT and Moral education.
PRISONS OFFICERS’ TRAINING SCHOOL
The Prison Officers Training School (POTS) was established in September 1947 It was then known as Warders Training Depot. Prior to that, it was the training ground of the Signal Regiment of the Royal West African Frontier Force. On 1st January 1964, when the Prisons department became autonomous and was renamed Ghana Prisons Service, the Warders Training Deport which was headed by the Training Officer also had its name changed to the Prisons Officers Training School. The designation of the head of this Institution remained unchanged until 1974 when it became “Commandant”.