The unit is responsible for physical training, recreation, and organization of Sporting activities in the Service. Monitor sporting activities for both officers and inmates. Participate in regional leagues being organized by the regional Sports Councils. Keep data of all sportsmen and women.
The unit participated in the following regional and national competitive championships
- Soccer (Men & Women)
- Volleyball (Men & Women)
- Hockey (Men & Women)
- Basketball (Men & Women)
- Handball (Men & Women)
- Table Tenis (Men & Women)
- Athletics (Men & Women)
- Tae-Kwan-Do (Men & Women)
- Judo (Men & Women)
- The Prisons Service successfully hosted the 12th SESSA Games from 21st – 28th October 2011, which marked the Silver Jubilee of SESSA. The Service participated in 9 sporting disciplines and 2 Gold, 14 silver, and 9 Bronze medals.
- Men’s team won the Regional league.
- Both Men/Ladies teams won the Greater Accra Regional league.
- Ladies Team won the Brong-Ahafo Regional Women football League and would represent the Region in the National Zonal league which took place in Wa, the Upper West Region.
- Team Prisons participated in the following Tae-Kwan-Do competitions with very impressive achievements:
- National Unity Games – 5 Gold, 1 Silver
- FREDOTU Championship – 1 Gold, 2 Silver and 2 Bronze
- SDM Championship – 4 Gold, 2 Silver and 1 Bronze